There's only one word to sum up our time in the Needles: DRAMATIC

Everything about that place is dramatic. The drive is eternally twisty, the trees are gigantic, the views are endless, and the climbing will make you wee yourself.
We drove into Sequoia National Forest Saturday at sunset. After finding the dirt road called, Needles Spring Road we headed the three miles down it and setup camp. Sunday we spent the whole day exploring the area. We were originally planning to climb a route called, Spooky (a fitting route for the day after halloween) but never found it. We hike around for about 8 miles tying to make since of the map I had hand copied onto a small sketch pad. The cliffs were a 3 mile hike from our campsite so I guess we really only spent 2 miles wondering. Still the hike was incredible. We found stunning views of the granite spires called, The Needles, and of the sequoia filled valley bellow.

There is an old ranger lookout at 8,250, balanced on top of the highest spire that we were able to visit as well. The sign below it limits 4 people at a time on the tower. It was a really windy day so we were glad to only be two small people. That night we ran into the two other climbers who happened to be out there that day, and they let us take pictures of their guidebook to help us find our route the next day.

Monday morning we set out a bit earlier with a better idea of where to find the route. The trails out there were very difficult to follow and very steep. Anne commented we have never worked so hard for one route. This time however, we quickly found the route. Both pitches were 5.9 but not to be taken lightly. It might have been the scariest climbing experience I've ever had. Nearing the top of the route I grabbed onto a huge flake/tufaish thing I had been planning to use as a rest and I wanted to place gear behind it. I was already at least 15 feet above my last piece and looking forward to getting another in. When I grabbed the torso sized flake it vibrated enough to make me wee myself. I tapped it with my right had just to make sure and it shook a bit. I decided I was off route, and despite being ten feet from the top, I was forced to down climb 30 feet, traverse to the left, and start back for the top. Eventually we both made it to the top, stoked to have climbed such a stellar route. All the hard work was more that worth it.

We began today with another route but in a different area called, Dome Rock. Afterward, we hopped in the car headed for Fresno. Tonight we'll stay with Anne's friend Monica and tomorrow we'll grab Nick from the airport and go to Yosemite for 3 days.
Anne and I are having a blast and can't believe we're so privileged to be on this trip. Right now all four sets of knuckles look like they've been in bar fights, but other than that no complaints. (Actually we like them b/c they look cool) Thanks everyone for your prayers; we can tell you are praying and we can't thanks you enough!
keep it real,
scott
No comments:
Post a Comment